Friday, August 14, 2026

The weather did not cooperate

"You can't always get what you want"

-- The Rolling Stones (1969) 

The Perseid Meteors peak on the evening of Aug 12-13.  This year that coincided with a new moon, which is a perfect combination for dark-sky viewing.  Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate.  I  was outside at 2:30 am on Aug 13, staring up into a hole in the clouds for about five minutes, and saw nothing.   Later that evening there was some open sky, so I set up a camera with a fisheye lens.  Polaris was hidden behind a large cloud, so I gave up on getting the star tracker polar aligned and just let the camera record star trails.  The result is shown below.  Unfortunately, not a single Perseid was captured.  Clouds floated through the view during this 43-min exposure, which created breaks in the star trails.  

Camera and lens: OM-5ii + 7Artisans 7.5mm f/2.8 fisheye.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, but welcome.